OFF WITH THE SHACKLES


Off with the shackles

Remove these chains,
I was made for flight and not to run.
I have wings that functions
Yet I stay grounded,
Restrained and gazing mournfully at the skies,
Wondering what could be.

You hold tightly to the leash, yet I am not a dog

The skies call out to me
The wind tries to lift me up
Still, I cannot fly
Until I spread
These wings of mine
And flap
And run
And fail
And try, again.

How do I spread my wings when you pluck my feathers?
You wield so much
Much power
To push me beyond my limits.
Yet, you lurk.
A beast in angelic clothing.
A viper with a honeyed tongue.
Constantly reminding me of what I am to you,
A plaything for your pleasure

I have forgotten what I am to myself
Forgotten what I carry to my audience
Forgotten the strength I hold to liberate those in chains.
Give me my wings and let me fly

Give me my wings and let me fly
With my beak and feet, weapons of old, I scratch you all day
Yet, you don’t feel a thing

Today you place me in the river,
Leaving to a place nearby,
Hoping I will swim
You never knew,
That I am a bird made for flight
A bird with no fins and scales
Just some feathers meant for flight

‘I am made for more,’ I cry
To be more I have to fly
I am a bird made for flight
Let go of the leash and let me be more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LET US FIGHT

NORMAL?

What if I die today?

SHE SWAYED!

TO MY FRIEND WHO IS LOST

DESIRES

TODAY I TOLD MYSELF A TALE